Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Made it to IIT Kanpur

I find things turn out to be remarkably simple and easy for me when it comes to determination of future course at some critical juncture.This is how my WBJEE rank permitted me a seat in JU.A few months back, after writing the GATE exam I did not imagine that the result of the exam which went awefully bad for me is going to permit me admission at IITK. But it's peculiar as who knows better that I have seldom been serious about my studies?Still I didn't ever have to worry as to where I would go to after my current program terminates.It's simply strange!!
I did not get a direct admit,though.I was called for a two-stage written test/interview screening process. The IIT Kanpur campus is awesome.Some 18-20 kms from the town is the institute campus with exquisite natural beauty.Peacocks are seen around aplenty and I saw a peacock with it's colourful tail expanded dancing in full glory, for the first time in my life.Although their shyness disappointed me. I once had the fortune of seeing a peacock unfolding it's tail with the fullest of romantic expressions in it's gesture..but no sooner did it see me stop and stare at it,than it folded down it's tail and shied away.
Besides peacock there is a wide variety of birds,animals and even reptiles in the campus.Everyday I used to wake up in the hostel hearing the mixed cacophony of different birds, in which the harsh sound of the peacock was the most prominent. The students said that there are some 150 nilgai's in the campus though I didn't see one.The campus is really big, I hardly traversed even a small fraction of it.Still I confused roads(highways they are, so to speak, running amidst the campus!!!) and went around in circles several times.
The written test was smooth and peaceful.Some 74 students(including myself) out of 134 were shortlisted for interviewing.
The interview started but shortly ended for that day.Mine was held on the next day.
The students went on going in and coming out.They narrated their interview experiences and it was really disheartening to hear that IIT professors may be really cruel at you in case you turn out academically weak (in their perception).But all the people in the panel were very polite and soft-spoken.So their comments were coming as sugar coated bitter pinch.A Chennai guy was said on face "It is not the proper way to study though I know it's not your fault.You don't know anything".Very gently said though.The guy was finally taken, as were many other people who thought their interviews had been disasters.
I don't know why but the professors were very merciful on me.But the terrifying stories that I heard were making me tremble in the panel.The interview started with a standard question on a graph theory problem after I said that my favourite subjects are algorithms and discrete mathematics.Still I took minutes together to think the answer out.I was so frightened.
The remaining part of the interview went smoothly.They were really adept in confusing people.But when I was leaving I heard one professor saying to another "I think he has done quite well" and I delightfully went back to the hostel.
I found the reults the day I returned on the net.Now looking forward to go over there for admission confirmation and all.

4 comments:

Shibamouli Lahiri said...

Nice exposition, well-chosen words and vividness of description cap it all! Carr y on the spirit and habit of writing. I know you have elements.

As to the natural life seen there at IITK, I had no idea at all. It gives me a delight to imagine you playing with peacocks. If only I were there! In any case, it seems to me like a fairyland... [sigh]

Let IITK bring in your life the academic path of your choice, and a quest for farther explorations of our subject and an indomitable will to achieve excellence in it. As I always wish, and as you yourself had also observed, never will there be a dearth of institutes in the world to absorb a brilliant and charming pupil like you...[:)]

I know you'll rise. Keep faith in yourself. And plz don't mind, but study hard. Not to the Hamiltonian level, but at least to the level of Bhaswati...[:D]

Swagato said...

Study hard.Hmm.I'll have to actually.Lethargy is all that I've gained in the four years of my BE..but now I badly need to shake it off.But being Hamilton is something else..and I'll strive to emulate him lifelong without success though..

@R!J!T said...

Haven't heard from you since a long time.......What happened?? Nothing to write about??

Swagato said...

@Arijit
Ya will shortly write 1.The thing is...I'm taken by lethargy.So much so, that I'm not doing anything worth doing.But I badly need to shake it off.